Monday, July 27, 2009

The Incident

I thought a lot about what to write for this post before I wrote it. Last night we had an "incident". Johnny has a hard time getting along with other kids. When he is left alone he is a sweet little boy, but often times when he is around other little kids he gets frustrated. We have seen that a lot. I think it comes from the inability to communicate. Johnny only knows sign at this point, and only on a basic level. The other little kids in our apartment complex only know english, and again on a very basic level. This leads to frustration, them with Johnny and vice versa. When Johnny gets frustrated, he usually hits the other children, to get their attention or to get them to stop, or to get them to go away. He doesn't know any other way to get his message across. We realize as parents that this is no good. We have tried to teach him not to do it, and in some ways he has gotten better the more he signs. However, there are times when he still gets so frustrated he can't help it. We try to be there to prevent those times from happening, but we are not perfect.
This brings us to the "incident". Last night Johnny was playing in a little police car outside. We were watching him, and he drove a little distance away from us. We were not too concerned because there weren't any other kids near him. We were sitting with some friends and were engaged in conversation with them. We kept looking back to keep an eye on Johnny. During one of the times that neither of us were watching, Johnny had been approached by a little girl in our ward. I don't know what happened, but the next thing we know, all the other little kids are running to this little girl's mom, many of them yelling that some little kid did it. We all looked to see what it was, and this little girl was bleeding from her nose. One of the other parents, who is not related to this little girl, came storming over to me, and said "Hey, your kid just grabbed some little girl's nose and made it bleed!" I got sick to my stomach. Then I got angry at this person, because his next words were taunting as he said "Yeah, see that girl over there, your kid did that, see what your kid did?!" I immediately ran over and took Johnny inside. As best I could, I tried to explain to him in my broken sign that hurting other kids was bad, and that he would have to go to bed now as a punishment. He cried for a while. I don't know how much he got from what I told him. Erica talked with the mom of the little girl. We felt, and still feel terrible about what happened. The mom was great. She was not angry with us, and explained to Erica that her little girl's nose bleeds pretty easily, and that it was not a big deal. Johnny's behavior still was not appropriate, and we are working so hard to get it right and to teach him.
I think that is what bothered me the most about what the other parent said. He has no idea what it's like. I don't blame him. How could he know that we had just had a long talk that day about things we needed to start doing to break Johnny of his hitting habit? How could he know that his comments were going to make my wife cry herself to sleep that night, and make me feel like a failure as a father? He probably thought that he was being some kind of hero, standing up for all the little kids on the playground and protecting them from the beastly Dietz child who never listens when the other parents ask him to stop. He probably didn't even know Johnny was deaf. I still wanted to ask him, though, to see how he would do raising two deaf children. Now it's hard to raise kids no matter what, but when one of his kids hits someone else, he can pull that child aside and talk to them about it. We try, but we just don't have the words. We're trying to learn them, but they're not there yet. We know that this kind of behavior is unacceptable, and we don't model it at home, but I honestly don't think Johnny is doing it to be mean. maybe I'm wrong. maybe my child is the monster this guy obviously thinks he is, and maybe we are awful parents who simply just don't care, like he must think we are. But I get so worried when Johnny does that stuff. I hate it when it happens, and I don't want him to do it, so I must care a little bit. And I've seen Johnny with his sister and other little babies and how he will softly try to hug them and give them kisses, how he signs words to teach Liza how to talk, and i know he is not a monster. I see how when he sees the other little boys playing with trains or super heroes, he gets his trains and super heroes. He just wants to be like the other kids, but he doesn't know how. We are trying to teach him, and I am sure he will eventually grow out of it, I just hope we can help him do it quickly.

3 comments:

  1. This post filled me with so much emotion, and love for Johnny. I think you two are wonderful parents, mainly because the moment you realized you had deaf children you looked into all the resources you could find. That's so obvious! I know that you and Erica keep a close eye on Johnny, which is tough.....I wasn't watching my kids close that day or any other day. I haven't gone through what you have, but I have had people, including Matt's family not want anything to do with Jocelyn because to them she seemed like a monster. All I wanted was for them to see the sweet girl we saw. She was diagnosed with aspergers, and when she was they seemed more tolerable. She has done a complete turn around, and I think if you stick to it Johnny will do the same. I would love for Erica to teach me some basic sign so I can communicate with him a little bit. I am sure that others would be interested in that too. Good luck and always know you are awesome parents to some very special kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. We have a son with a hearing loss and he is doing the same things. Hang in there, love them, and it will all work out. You are awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on your blog and I think you guys are great parents who have a lot to deal with. I hope it's okay if I read your blog!

    ReplyDelete