Friday, June 19, 2009

Parents Decide

Recently, I've been hearing of things that are a little troubling as a parent.  There are those out there who are trying to change, things and not for the better.  I am wary of any person or group who tries to tell me that there is one size fits all approach to children who are deaf or hearing impaired.  I am also wary of anyone who tries to tell me that my children can be "fixed", like their broken.  My kids aren't broken, they are perfect just the way they are.  I want to give them tools to communicate and be successful, but I always want them to be proud of who they are.
I know there are groups out there who are working to take away our choices as parents to decide what is best for our kids.  Nowadays, there are so many choices for kids with hearing loss or who are deaf, that we should be able to study them out, and decide for ourselves, and professionals and PIP workers should support us in that.  I am grateful that this has been our experience thus far.  We have shared with our PIP advisor what we have decided, and she has supported us on that.  However there are groups who claim that PIP is too one sided.  In reality, I think they feel that PIP should not offer any other option but the one they have chosen, whether that be signing or oral or somewhere in between.  These same groups are working hard  to make sure that they bring about these changes.  Everyone I have ever talked to in PIP has said that it's the parents' choice how to raise their kids, and they are there as support.  That is how it should be.  If these groups who want to change things by writing letters and going before boards are successful, our right to choose will be taken away.  I hope parents will be aware of this and make it clear that all we want is options, and the support to accomplish the goals we set for our kids.  I hope the day will not ever come that my freedom to choose will be taken away.
Now, those who are supportive of these groups, I believe are really doing what they feel is best for themselves and others.  
I am also just trying to do what I feel is best for my kids and others.  I want there to be choice, I want to have the right to choose for my kids, and I want my neighbor to have the same choice.  If you choose oral communication only, or if you choose signing only, or a mixture of both, make it the right choice for you and your family.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the 1990's, the Deaf Community got as far as getting a hearing before Congress regarding cochlear implants. They wanted them to be illegal, at least in children. Many of the people who got implants testified before Congress, including Rachel C. Congress decided that implants were to be kept legal and an option for children. They felt it was medically safe, and should be regulated like all other medical devices. Since then, implants have become much more accepted, and I doubt that there is any way to get them ruled illegal now. Too much history of success.

    Any other manditory program would also find itself banned because parental choice is strongly supported by our Nation. I think mostly it is just talk. I don't see any real action that would concern me.

    ReplyDelete