Monday, November 2, 2009

No We Didn't Forget the Time Change


I imagine if anyone in our court saw us leaving before ten on Sunday, they probably thought, "How embarassing, the Dietz family forgot to set their clocks back." Truth is, we didn't forget at all. We were leaving just when we intended to. This last week we went to the LDS Deaf ward near our house. We were hoping it would be a good experience for Johnny to be around a lot of other people who sign, so he wouldn't feel like he was so different from everyone else.
It was amazing to see the difference it made for Johnny. He just sat and watched all the signing around him. He was just glued to the front. I mean, he didn't pay attention the whole time, but he didn't try to escape, he didn't scream, he didn't hit Eliza, it was amazing. He was still a two year old, but he was as reverent as any two year old I had ever seen.
After sacrament meeting the Bishop came over and said hi. I had met him a couple of days before at work, and told him we would be coming to the ward. He wanted to meet my two kids. The whole ward was so kind and welcoming. Even though my wife and I are still learning ASL, everyone mad an effort to make us feel welcome. It was great. Johnny seemed to do well in Nursery, and Erica and I were able to sit through all three meetings in church. It was pretty cool. We are not sure where to go from here. Going to the ward would be a good opportunity for us to be immersed more in the culture, which will help us as Johnny and Eliza grow. Plus they will have the opportunity to grow up in a ward setting where they are normal, which would be a huge deal for any kid. However, it would be a big change for us. However, well, I guess we'll see what the Lord wants for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment